Courtney Bryan, a native of New Orleans, La, is “a pianist and composer of panoramic interests” (New York Times). Her music is in conversation with various musical genres, including jazz and other types of experimental music, as well as traditional gospel, spirituals, and hymns. Focusing on bridging the sacred and the secular, Bryan's compositions explore human emotions through sound, confronting the challenge of notating the feeling of improvisation. Bryan has academic degrees from Oberlin Conservatory (BM), Rutgers University (MM), and Columbia University (DMA) with advisor George Lewis, and completed an appointment as Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of African American Studies at Princeton University. Bryan is an Assistant Professor of Music at Tulane University's Newcomb Department of Music, and serves as a board member of the Musical Arts Society of New Orleans (MASNO), Composers Now, and New Music USA.
Bryan’s work has been presented in a wide range of venues, including Lincoln Center, Miller Theatre, Symphony Space, The Stone, Roulette Intermedium, La MaMa Experimental Theatre, National Gallery of Art, Blue Note Jazz Club, Jazz Gallery, Bethany and Abyssinian Baptist Churches, and Ojai Music Festival. Upcoming commissions include compositions for the Jacksonville Symphony, Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble, Ensemble Pi, Aperture Duo, Davóne Tines, and collaborations with writers Sharan Strange and Ashon Crawley, and artists Amy Bryan, Alma Bryan Powell, and Tiona McClodden. She has two independent recordings, “Quest for Freedom” (2007) and "This Little Light of Mine" (2010).
- Blooming for Wind Quintet [Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Horn & Basson] - $70.00
- Elegy for Clarinet, Violin, Violoncello & Piano - $35.95
- In the Heart of God for Flute, Clarinet, Violin & Violoncello - $24.95
- Sanctum for Orchestra - $45.00
- Shedding Skin for Orchestra - $31.95
- Soli Deo Gloria for 2 Guitars - $17.95
- White Gleam of Our Bright Star for Orchestra - $25.95
- Yet Unheard for Voice, Chorus & Orchestra (chorus part) - $7.50
- Yet Unheard for Voice, Chorus & Chamber Orchestra - $28.95
- Yet Unheard for Voice, Chorus & Orchestra - $28.95